Youth Villages has been a national leader in the implementation of research-based treatment philosophies in the field of children's mental and behavioral health. Our commitment to helping troubled children and their families find success spans 30 years and includes a comprehensive array of programs and services.
If you are looking for a positive career move where you are meeting the challenges of life and striving to make a positive difference, then Youth Villages is the place for you. We are looking for people with a strong sense of purpose and focus to continually build confidence in yourself and our organization.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Senior Public Relations Coordinator coordinates various communications and public relations plans, programs and projects; conducts media relations; and provides assistance to the Director of Marketing & Communications to build local and regional awareness of Youth Villages among the general public and key stakeholder groups; with focus on marketing and communication tactics, event promotion in West Tennessee, and some focus on outlying states where the organization has locations. Coordinates the digital PR strategy for Youth Villages in helping to identify and engage with reporters, social influencers, etc. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the department. Ideal candidate should have strong media relations experience in the Memphis market, as well as experience with statewide, regional and national media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assists the Director of Marketing & Communications with the development and implementation of comprehensive, strategic traditional and digital public relations plans for Youth Villages and its various services, programs and events.
2. Conducts strategic media relations in key markets to support overall organizational and departmental objectives; works with the news media both proactively and reactively. Is on call 24/7 for journalists and crisis situations.
3. Stays apprised of situations in key markets, ensuring PR is conducted accurately, timely, within budget parameters and in a way that supports operational goals.
4. Regularly evaluates the effectiveness of PR strategies and tactics, and reports on status of plans and results of work.
5. Stays apprised of issues affecting the organization, including competitor work.
7. Conducts media training, and coaches and prepares staff for news media interviews.
8. Creates media and communications materials such as news releases, news advisories, fact sheets, talking points, speaking points, press kits, etc. Is responsible for ensuring all materials are current and easily accessible to media in media center.
9. Conducts planning/execution of PR strategy for campaigns, programs and events, such as news conferences, training classes, ribbon-cuttings, groundbreakings, and fundraisers (including Soup Sunday, YV5K, Dodge This, etc.).
10. Ability to interview families and young people and write stories for various uses.
11. Must have the be ability to work collaboratively across various teams and departments to ensure integration and sharing of information.
12. Skilled writer with the ability as needed to write copy, including: PSAs, speeches, scripts, news releases and marketing communications materials at the request of manager or director; assists with editing and proofreading upon request; follows AP Style.
13. Works closely with digital strategy, as well as other YV departments and outside vendors as necessary, to ensure all programs and projects are successful, accurate and timely.
14. Supports crisis communications as necessary alongside director of marketing and communications and the PR manager.
15. Monitors Youth Villages coverage in the news media including digital, preparing monthly reports
16. Performs additional duties at the request of the director of marketing and communications or director of digital strategy or the director of the department.
Bachelor's degree in journalism or public relations (majors in communications or marketing may be considered).
Minimum of five years of experience in public relations/communications, with strong media relations, communications planning and event promotion experience preferred.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug Coverage and Vision
Retirement Savings Pension Plan
2 weeks paid vacation
12 paid sick days per year
10 paid holidays